Mace Theft: NASS c’ttee summons Omo-Agege, Ndume

 
Wed May 16th, 2018 - Abuja (FCT)
 

As Omo- Agege fails to appear at plenary

By Henry Umoru

ABUJA—THE Senate and House of Representatives joint adhoc committee investigating the April 18 Senate invasion has summoned Senators Ovie Omo-Agege (APC, Delta) and Ali Ndume (APC Borno) for the role they allegedly played in the act and stealing of the mace.

The mace was later recovered by the police, who said they were still investigating the incident.

Chairman of the investigating committee, Bala Ibn Na’Allah, issued the summon at the committee’s meeting in Abuja yesterday.

The summon followed testimonies from heads of different security agencies within the National Assembly which alleged that Omo-Agege led seven unauthorised personnel into the red chamber and disrupted plenary.

It was also alleged that Mr Ndume hindered the mace keeper from taking it away to safety.

“Based on the testimony of the sergeant at arms before the committee, you (Mr Ndume) are alleged to have prevented the mace keeper from taking away the mace to safety.

“The committee has, therefore, deemed it necessary to invite you in order to respond to that allegation.

“As regards to Omo-Agege, based on the testimony of the DPO, the SSS and the sergeant at arms, you are alleged to have entered the National Assembly accompanied by seven persons who allegedly took the mace of the Senate during plenary session on April 18, at about 11:30 a.m.

“All those who testified, stated that the said people were cleared into the chamber based on your confirmation that they were with you.

“The committee,in pursuance of this,has deemed it necessary to formally invite you to respond to these allegations on Wednesday, May 16 at 11:00am,” Mr Na’Allah read out the format of the letter to be issued to the summoned lawmakers.

Last week, the National Assembly Divisional Police Officer, Sulu-Gambari Abdul, accused the lawmakers of conspiring with thugs who invaded the Senate chamber and took away the mace last month.

Mr Sulu-Gambari said the Senate invasion was an act of internal conspiracy among some security agencies and some lawmakers.

Meanwhile, Senator Omo-Agege failed to appear at plenary yesterday, even as there was heavy security presence in and outside the National Assembly in anticipation of his appearance.

The senator had said in an interview with newsmen on Monday that nobody would stop him from appearing at yesterday’s plenary.

In expectation of his appearance, there was very heavy presence of Police and men of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, who carried out search on persons and vehicles.

The gallery of the Senate Chamber where journalists, visitors and other staff stay to observe plenary, was, however, locked.

It will be recalled that the Senate had on April 12, suspended Senator Ovie Omo- Agege for ninety legislative days, apparently for kicking against the new sequence of elections adopted by the Upper Chamber which was alleged to have been targeted at President Muhammadu Buhari ahead of 2019 elections.

Senator Omo- Agege was also asked to withdraw his suit against the Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, and the Senate from the court as part of the conditions to forgive him at the expiration of the ninety legislative days’ suspension.

Related
 
 

Reactions


 

source: Vanguard