Two children were on Monday killed and three others injured in a roadside bomb blast in Yemen’s southern province of Lahj, according to a security official.File Photo: Gombe presidential rally Car-Bomb-Blast in 2014
The official said on condition of anonymity that a roadside bomb exploded near a residential building in downtown Lahj province, leaving two children killed and three others injured.
According to the official, all the victims were members of one family and accidentally walked through a roadside bomb placed near their house.
“Terrorist elements were apparently planning to target a security commander living in the same neighbourhood,” the official said.Also read: The political mistake Ojukwu made after 1966 coup ― Mbazulike Amaechi
An Eye witness told Xinhua that the roadside bomb caused a huge explosion in the centre of Lahj province.
Landmines and explosive devices had been claiming civilian lives in Yemen, especially in the southern areas liberated from the Iranian-backed Houthis.
Yemen had been locked in a civil war since late 2014, when Shiite Houthis overran much of the country and seized all northern provinces, including the capital Sanaa.
The five-year civil war had so far claimed the lives of more than 10,000 people, mostly civilians, displacing three million others and pushed Yemen to the brink of famine.