Scores escape death as fire guts building, church, furniture market, zoo

 
Tue Jan 14th, 2020 - Lagos
 

Just as the harmattan season is making its hurried exit, a harvest of fire incidents spread across some cities from the weekend and yesterday, leaving in its trail anguish and destruction of properties. A fire broke out at No. 56, Oshodi Road in Oshodi-Isolo local government area of Lagos State on Sunday night displacing the occupants of a single storey building.

According to an eyewitness, the fire started at about 10:00p.m. and lasted into the early hours of yesterday caused by a candlelight which burned out in one of the rooms in the building. “Thankfully, the spirited efforts of residents and community leaders who rushed to put off the fire from consuming the whole building ensured no life was lost though property worth millions of naira was lost to the fire by tenants in the upstairs section of the building.”

It would be recalled that recently, the local government authority advised residents to take precautionary steps to avoid fire disaster, and the on the dangers of igniting combustible elements in this fire-prone dry season.

 
 

Reactions


 

source: Guardian