Court Sends 52 Pro-Biafra Agitators to Prison in Enugu

Thu Jun 1st, 2023 -

Fifty two members of the Biafra Zionist Federation (BZF) led by Benjamin Onwuka who were arrested in Enugu May 30, have been remanded in the Enugu prison

The group members were allegedly picked up on their way to hoist the Biafra flag inside the Enugu Govt House during the sit at home declared that day to celebrate the 59th year anniversary of Biafra by the proponents.

The Guardian gathered that the Pro-Biafra agitators had concluded procession near the Michael Okpara Square, and were marching to the Government House when they were arrested.

They were arraigned at the Enugu Magistrate court yesterday and remanded in prison alongside their leader Benjamin Onwuka.

It could be recalled that on Tuesday, May 30, a sit-at-home was declared in the zone by Pro-Biafra agitators in remembrance of the day the defunct Biafra Republic was declared, a development that forced businesses, schools, markets and offices to shut down in Enugu and other Southeast States.

It was learnt that the men who took off from a location at Independence Layout, Enugu were already rounding off their procession when the police swooped on them.

A source stated hat the agitators displayed Biafran flags, those of Israel and the United States of America when they were arrested.

The source added: “The men numbering over 50 had arrived the venue where they were set to embark on procession. They had Biafran flags and those of USA and Israel. They were also carrying loads of tracks bearing the name of their group and their messages.

“So, it was when they started matching towards the Government House that about five Hilux vans loaded with policemen came and arrested them. I must tell you that they were not bearing any arms or dangerous weapons.”

Most of those arrested were said to be elderly men.

This is the third time in recent years that the Ben Onwuka led BZF had attempted to gain access into the Enugu govt House failing on each occasion.

They had also in the past tried to seize the Enugu Broadcasting Service but were stopped by the police. One of their members was shot dead in the process.




source: Guardian